Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Let the summer never end!

My first Colorado September! This is my first year missing the pumpkin festival back in the midwest…but I survived…will get my fall fix in a trip to see the aspen colors. Seems like the sun is stronger…maybe because the leaves are falling, or because it's been one bluebird day after another, but it helps transition to these shorter days. For the first time I had to quit gardening early b/c I eventually couldn't decipher the colors of the tomatoes in the setting sun. Living up to my rabbit title, I nibbled on a couple cherry tomatoes…trying to savor the last of these abundant fresh picked bites.

This is where celebrations begin. Enjoying farm dinners from the bounty of our hard labor. This season I didn't eat much besides these greens...and was able to avoid the 'unsafeway' grocery stores :) Now it's a matter of bottling it all up and preserving the goodness for winter months.

Reflecting back, I found myself in the best environment possible in these urban gardens. Better than any bad tv show, ice cream, or drug, the gardens were a true healing detox. Here I was completely surrounded by genuine people, good conversation, besides just the healthy food. Though this wasn't a full immersion farm experience, I might have grown even more this year than I did last.

No comments:

Post a Comment