Thursday, February 21, 2013

Last stop

A mere 18 hours after leaving Cambodia, I arrived in Koh Phangan...a mere two hour flight, elongated by a layover, delay which caused me to miss my direct ferry...a 1.5 hour ferry to Koh Samui, taxi, speedboat, then another taxi. But I made it to our little bungalow on the hill! Emily was waiting in the outdoor common area. What a sweetheart ad warm welcome for this tired traveler! Her familiar voice was music to my ears, and she gets the trophy for worlds best hugs.

It's a beautiful spot, quietly nestled in the trees with a great view of fishing boats on the Gulf of Thailand. We are nearest to Haad Son beach, a private little cove with clear blue shallow water and no waves. It is definitely a little paradise.

But I'd be lying to say that I'm convinced of it yet. There are tourists, mostly (russian and french) families and couples. Relaxing. But to me it's far from the Thailand that I experienced a few weeks ago. I do miss the backpacker camaraderie, meeting new travelers and hearing their stories, experiencing what I think is more authentic Thailand and its people. And the cheaper prices.

All that aside, it's been a blessing to catch up with Em and swap travel stories. I never made it out of the airports to actually see Bangkok so she filled me in. I'm still digesting my experiences slowly, and she's so great to get me to talk and process them.

There are steep hills every few houses, so needless to say, we keep our walks to the point. 7-11, beach, and dinner. Since I'm here a whole week, I will eventually explore more of the island, if only for new food and shops. But for now it's been great to just sit and relax and soak it all in!











No comments:

Post a Comment